Steps to perform Ardhamatsyenrasana
- Sit up with the legs stretched out straight in front of you, keeping the feet together and the spine erect.
- Bend the right leg and place the heal of the right foot beside the left hip.
- Take the left over the left knee.
- Bring the right hand over the left leg and grab the big toe of the left foot.
- Inhale and exhaling twist the trunk of the body as much as possible, turning the neck so the gaze is over the left shoulder and encircle the waist with the left hand with the palm facing outwards.
- Breathe deeply and slowly in the final position.
- Increase hips and spine flexibility.
- Removes the wastes and improves digestion.
- Stimulate heart, kidneys, liver, spleen and lungs.
- Open the neck, hips and shoulders.
- Relieve fatigue, sciatica, backache and menstrual discomfort.
- Clean the internal organs.
- Releases excess toxins and heat from tissues and organs.
- Energizes and stretches the backbone.
- Should be avoided during pregnancy and menstruation due to the strong twist in the abdomen.
- People with Heart, abdominal or brain surgeries should not practice this asana.
- Care should be taken for those with peptic ulcer or hernia.
- Those with severe spinal problems should avoid and those with mild slipped disc can benefit but in severe cases it should be avoided.