Steps to perform Paschimotanasana
- Sit up straight with your legs together, stretched out in front of you. Point both feet straight up towards the ceiling.
- Inhale, and stretch your arms up over your head. Following the direction of your hands, at the same time lengthen the entire spine upwards.
- Exhale and bend forward from the hips keeping your spine as elongated as possible and reaching towards your feet with your hands as you come down.
- If you can reach your feet, the ideal hand position is to wrap your index fingers around the big toes, with the thumbs resting on tops of the big toes.
- If you cannot reach your feet yet, let your hands fall comfortably on top of the shins or thighs, or alongside the legs on the floor, or wherever they can comfortably rest.
- Be sure to keep the feet pointed straight up towards the ceiling and together.
- As you continue to hold the posture, relax as much as possible, especially in the shoulders and hips. With each exhale let your breath do the work – ideally the abdomen should fall closer toward the thighs, the chest toward the knees and the head towards the feet.
- While practicing this Paschimottanasana the intestines, gall bladder are smoothly pressed and stimulates well.
- The soul energy of the body will be strengthening by spinal cord, spinal nerves are pulled during the time of asana.
- It prevents diabetes. It increases the fertility factor of male removes the infertility.
- Stomach pain, headache, piles, hip pain, back pain and body weakness are cured by doing this asana.
- The menstrual problem will be cured for the ladies. Hip bones will become strengthen.
- For women can do this asana before marriage can give birth from normal delivery by strengthening their bones and inner reproductive organs.
- This asana helps to increase the concentration capacity.
- Soothing for the mind, removing anxiety, anger and irritability.
- Helps to remove disorders of the uro-genital system.
- Removes the fat from the hips, the abdomen and thigh region.
- Persons with asthma, diarrhea and back injury should not perform this asana.
- Back injury: Only perform this pose under the supervision of an experienced teacher.
- It is advisable to perform Paschimottanasana initially under the guidance of an experienced yoga master until you become perfect in this asana.