Pregnancy yoga can be a great way to prepare for childbirth.Much like other types of childbirth-preparation classes, prenatal yoga is a multifaceted approach to exercise that encourages stretching, mental centring and focused breathing. Research suggests that prenatal yoga is safe and can have many benefits for pregnant women and their babies.
Research suggests that prenatal yoga can:
- Improve sleep
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Increase the strength, flexibility and endurance of muscles needed for childbirth
- Decrease lower back pain, nausea, carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms, headaches and shortness of breath.
Pregnancy yoga can also help you meet and bond with other pregnant women and prepare for the stress of being a new parent.
- A focus on poses that create space for baby, encourage circulation to the womb and pelvic region, and relieve the discomforts pregnancy can bring
- A supported practice to ensure stability in the poses. Props are used which makes these sessions accessible to complete beginners and very important for “flexible” practitioners
- Pranayama is incorporated into sessions or taught on its own in a restorative session. Breath awareness and control is an excellent tool for labour and delivery
- The practice teaches one to stay in the present moment, another invaluable skill for labour.