Diet for Dengue: what to eat and avoid for fastest Recovery
Dengue is a viral fever spread by the bite of an Aedes mosquito. Infected person may suffer from various symptoms like fever, headache, muscle loss, low platelet count, skin rashes and joint pain. It is very important to consume or follow a healthy diet to reduce the effects of these severe symptoms. Increased intake of fluid rich and detox foods along with a moderate change in lifestyle and observing proper basic hygiene is very important for the patient to recover fast. In this article we will discuss dengue diet for fastest recovery.
Diet and Nutrition Tips for Dengue Patients
A diet rich in immunity boosting foods can help in preventing dengue. Patient suffering from dengue needs to have sufficient intake of nutrients and healthy diet to overcome the loss caused by the dengue.
Foods that increase Platelet
- Consuming papaya and papaya leaf extract increases the blood platelet count quickly.
- Drinking a half cup of wheatgrass juice mixed with few drops of lemon juice it improve the platelet count
- Pomegranates are loaded with nutrients rich in antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and immunity boosting properties.
- Pumpkin is rich in Vitamin A, which helps support the development of platelets and regulates the proteins that are produced by the body cells add pumpkin puree to baked goods smoothies, stews, soups.
- Kidney Beans, Oranges, peanuts and black- eyes peas contain folate. Eat a hanful peanut as a snack, add beans in soup.
- Foods that are rich in Vitamin C that includes orange, kiwi, lemon, amla these are effective in increasing the platelet count.
- Goat milk is good source of calcium, vitamin D, vitamin K, and folate include goat milk in your diet to boost immunity and improve blood platelet count.
- A bowl full of carrots and beetroot taken twice a week helps increase the blood platelet count. Prepare soups or juices from it.
- Raisins are loaded with iron, which is important for RBC and platelet growth.
- Coconut is rich in healthy fats and other nutrients. It increases platelet activation. It is advisible to add it in salads and also use it in cooking.
- Including Vitamin B12 rich foods in your diet is shown to increase the platelet count. Consume boiled, fried, or poached eggs.
Herbs to Prevent Dengue Fever
According to the Ayurveda herbs improves immunity and reduce high fever and associated symptoms of body ache, reduction of platelet count and fatigue.
Giloy is a popular herb that has long been used in medicines. It helps reduce fever and increases the platelet count it also contains anti-inflammatory properties to boost overall health.
It is herb used as a bitter tonic that is known to manage health conditions like loss of appetite, fever during dengue fever.
Neem leaves have shown to increase both blood platelets and white blood cell platelet count, two of which are the the worst side effects of dengue fever
Immunity Boosting Foods
Yogurt is a strong probiotic which stimulates the functioning of the immune system. You can enjoy fresh yogurt at any time of the day. It will be refreshing treat for you which are loaded with health benefits. It also helps in improving digestive system.
- Protein rich Foods
Protein rich foods include milk, eggs and other dairy products must be consumed to battle with the dengue virus. Non vegetarians can opt fish and chicken in good quantity once they start recovering from the fever. Hot soups will provide strength to the body and also helpful in joint pain.
- Citrus Fruits
Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin c which is helpful in building strong immunity. Vitamin c helps in the production of white blood cells which are the disease fighting cells of the body. These foods are loaded with antioxidants which protects the body from damage. Citrus fruits include lemons, orange, grapefruit, kiwi etc.
Spinach is rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and beta carotene which help in boosting immunity.
Garlic has antibacterial anti-fungal properties as well. The presence of sulphur in garlic contributes to better immunity.
Ginger is also an immunity boosting food. Ginger is very helpful in treating sore throat, inflammation, nausea and other symptoms of dengue fever.
Turmeric is the golden spice, which is loaded with medicinal properties. Turmeric can also help improve the immune system
To boost the immunity, it is advisable to eat almonds as they are loaded with vitamin E.
Sample Indian Diet Plan for Dengue
Early Morning- 15-20 ml Giloy Juice + 5-6 overnight soaked raisins.
Breakfast- 1 Bowl wheat porridge / fruit smoothie
Mid- Morning- 1 glass coconut water + Kiwi/ pomegranate juice
After 1 Hour 15 ml Papaya leaf juice
Lunch- 1 Bowl Vegetable Khichdi / Mashed Potato with herbs/ 1 Bowl Daliya with milk /samak rice + 1 bowl curd / 1 cup milk
Evening – Beetroot, amla, lemon juice / lemon water/ orange+ mosambi juice
Dinner- vegetable Soup/ spinach + tomato soup with Garlic/ 1 bowl mashed rice with dal / kadhi / sooji kheer
Bed Time – 1 glass Goat milk